JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – Mississippi was once again been recognized by Area Development magazine with a Silver Shovel Award. The award is a tribute to Mississippi’s economic development success in 2021 and showcases the continued efforts of the state to foster new business investments and build a pro-growth economic environment.
The Shovel Awards are presented to state economic development agencies that create a significant number of jobs through innovative policies, infrastructure improvements, processes and promotions that attract new employers and investments in new and expanded facilities. Mississippi won a Silver Shovel in the “fewer than 3 million population” category.
Mississippi’s top 2021 project was Milwaukee Tool’s new accessories manufacturing facility in Grenada County, which is creating 1,200 jobs. Additional 2021 projects contributing to Mississippi winning a Silver Shovel Award are:
- Waste Management – 330 jobs, $660,000 investment
- Jones – 230 jobs, $40M investment
- Edelbrock – 200 jobs, $14.4M investment
- Biewer Lumber – 150 jobs, $130M investment
- New Way Trucks – 120 jobs, $4M investment
- Leisure Pools – 100 jobs, $3.25M investment
- AeroSafe Global – 100 jobs, $2.5M investment
To view a complete list of the 2021 Shovel Award winners, click here.