MADISON COUNTY, Miss. (WJTV) – Madison County deputies arrested two men for allegedly trafficking 400 pounds of marijuana.
According to investigators, deputies conducted a traffic stop on a pickup on Tuesday, August 4. The traffic stop happened at mile marker 119 on I-55 South. Deputies said the pickup was pulling a travel trailer with an expired tag.
The driver was identified as Aaron Abernathy, 42, of Flora. During an interview, deputies became suspicious of Abernathy and his passenger, Esteban Molina-Torres of Spokane, Washington. Deputies said the two consented to a search of the vehicle.
A K-9 alerted on the presence of narcotics. Deputies said they found 400 pounds of marijuana concealed in a false compartment of the travel trailer.
Both suspects were arrested for trafficking of a controlled substance. Abernathy was also charged with an expired tag. Their bond has been set at $100,000 each. The suspects are being held at the Madison County Detention Center. Deputies said Molina-Torres also has a hold by ICE.
- 722 new coronavirus cases, 20 additional deaths in Mississippi
- LIVE: Ginsburg is first woman to lie in state at US Capitol
- Pedestrian hit and killed on S. Gallatin Street in Jackson
- NewsNation/Emerson poll: Biden has slight lead over President Trump
- Here’s what you need to know for the first 2020 presidential election debate