JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – According to the Mississippi Department of Corrections (MDOC), two inmates in prison for burglary have died at a Jackson hospital.
Melvin Gamage Jr., 69, died Tuesday morning and Darius Hamilton, 37, died late Monday night, both at Merit Health Central in Jackson. The men were housed at the Central Mississippi Correctional Facility in Rankin County.
MDOC officials said foul play is not suspected in the two prisoners’ deaths. The cause and manner of death are pending an autopsy in each case.
Gamage was serving life for automobile burglary after being sentenced Dec. 7, 1984, as a habitual offender in Harrison County.
Hamilton was serving three years for residential burglary and theft of a motor vehicle in Lee County. He was sentenced July 16, 2020.
- State Treasurer to return $20,000 in unclaimed property to Alcorn State
- Bus-size asteroid to zoom by Earth, ducking below satellites
- Wrestling legend ‘Road Warrior Animal’ dies at 60
- Tesla network outage locks some customers out of app, car
- Watch Live: Governor Reeves to give update on Mississippi’s COVID-19 response