MARION COUNTY, Miss. (WHLT) – Marion County deputies are investigating after two people were killed during a shooting on Monday, December 14. The shooting happened in the 1000 block of Highway 587 in the Morgantown community around 4:30 p.m.
When deputies arrived, they found two deceased individuals inside the home, and they were fired upon by a man. Deputies returned fire, striking the suspect, who was identified as 43-year-old John Henry Wells. Investigators said Wells shot himself when deputies attempted to close in on him. He was taken to a hospital for treatment.
The deputies who responded to the incident were not injured.
Investigators said the two deceased individuals were relatives of Wells. Marion County Coroner Jessie Graham identified the victims as Wells’ parents, 73-year-old James Wells and 61-year-old Rebecca Wells. Their bodies have been sent to the State Crime Lab for autopsies.
Wells is facing two counts of murder in the case. The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation was contacted to handle the officer-involved portion of the investigation.
- Biden team preps for inauguration while lawmakers look ahead to impeachment trial of President Trump
- Records: Trump allies behind rally that ignited Capitol riot
- Powerball jackpot grows to $730M; Mega Millions to be $850M
- Protesters gather outside of closed, guarded Texas Capitol in support of First, Second Amendment rights
- The Debate Continues: Brady vs. Brees Round Three, Bushrod’s Take