PEARL, Miss. (WJTV) – On Friday, U.S. Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-Miss.) presented Pearl resident Gary L. Benton, Senior Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force with a Vietnam Service Medal.
Benton earned the honor in recognition of his service during military operations associated with the fall of Vietnam in April 1975. He retired from the Air Force after 26 years of service.
President Lyndon B. Johnson in 1965 created the Vietnam Service Medal to recognize service in Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, or Cambodia during the Vietnam War.
- 7.5 magnitude earthquake strikes near Alaska, triggering tsunami warning
- Standing in the gap: grassroots efforts to tackle inequities in education
- Stimulus update: Pelosi, Mnuchin ‘narrow differences’ ahead of House speaker’s Tuesday deadline
- Putting the ‘X’ back in Mexico: Gigantic red sculpture getting a makeover in Juarez
- CVS hiring several thousand work-from-home employees among 15,000 openings