PEARL, Miss. (WJTV) – On Friday, U.S. Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-Miss.) presented Pearl resident Gary L. Benton, Senior Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force with a Vietnam Service Medal.
Benton earned the honor in recognition of his service during military operations associated with the fall of Vietnam in April 1975. He retired from the Air Force after 26 years of service.
President Lyndon B. Johnson in 1965 created the Vietnam Service Medal to recognize service in Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, or Cambodia during the Vietnam War.
- COVID-19 relief package hangs in the balance as lawmakers stay along party lines
- 81-year-old ‘Fitness Gran’ takes over TikTok
- 12 News Investigates: Pandemic Tax Scams
- City of Jackson voting precinct changes, absentee voting information for 2021 municipal elections
- US carries out airstrikes against Iranian-backed militia facilities in Syria