HATTIESBURG, Miss. (WHLT) – Scotty Walden, who has served as the Southern Miss interim football interim coach since September 7, was announced on Tuesday as the head coach at Austin Peay.
Assistant head coach Tim Billings has been named interim coach for the Golden Eagles. Billings has been a member of the Southern Miss staff since the 2016 campaign.
Southern Miss Director of Athletics Jeremy McClain said, “We are excited for Scotty and his family as they begin this new journey and we wish them nothing but the best. As we adjust, I have asked Tim Billings to take over the interim head coach role and I have full confidence in his ability to successfully lead our team for the rest of the season.”
Walden was a member of the Golden Eagle football staff since the 2017 season. He was named interim head coach after Jay Hopson resigned following the team’s season-opener loss to South Alabama.
Southern Miss is 1-4 overall after Saturday’s loss to Liberty. Southern Miss is scheduled to host Rice this weekend.
- Crash on I-20 East before Gallatain Street
- U.S. students falling behind in math during pandemic, study finds
- At tiny rural hospitals, weary doctors treat friends, family
- COVID-19 patient gets help from across the U.S. thanks to Navy SEAL brother-in-law
- Tips to protect against ‘porch pirates’ during the holiday shopping season