1 dead, 3 missing after Hard Rock Hotel collapse in New Orleans

Top Stories

NEW ORLEANS (AP) – Emergency workers in New Orleans are preparing to enter a partially collapsed building at the edge of the French Quart in hopes of finding two people missing since part of the building came crashing down at mid-morning.

Video courtesy of WGNO, features images from the scene fronting Canal Street.

The Hard Rock Hotel was under construction when a large section of it collapsed Saturday. One person was killed at the scene. Approximately 20 others were injured. A man who had been unaccounted for turned out to have been at a local hospital. But two other people remain missing and Fire Chief Tim McConnell says rescue workers hope to find them alive.

McConnell said only part of the building is considered stable. And a 270-foot (82.3-meter) -tall crane looming over the wreckage also is unstable and in danger of collapse – further complicating rescue efforts.

NEW ORLEANS (AP) – One person has been confirmed killed and three are unaccounted for after a large portion of a hotel under construction in New Orleans suddenly collapsed.

City officials and Gov. John Bel Edwards confirmed the fatality Saturday.

News outlets report construction workers ran to safety as the Hard Rock Hotel, which was under construction, came crashing down. Upper floors began to fall on top of each other before one side of the building fell to the ground below.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.