MIAMI (AP) – Two tropical storms have formed Monday in the Atlantic Ocean, including Rene, which formed off the coast of West Africa.
Rene is the earliest “R-named” storm in a record-setting hurricane season, breaking the previous record of Rita, which formed Sept. 18, 2005. A tropical storm warning has been issued for the Cabo Verde Islands.
Earlier Monday, Tropical Storm Paulette formed in the central Atlantic, far from land. The U.S. National Hurricane Center says the storm’s maximum sustained winds are 40 mph with modest strengthening expected over the next few days. It is not currently a threat to land.
- Earth Day was almost called something else entirely
- Man accused of hitting hotel worker in head with horseshoe, microwaving fire extinguisher
- JSU, Jackson-Hinds Community Health Center offer free COVID-19 vaccines on Thursday
- USM Construction Program receives $100K grant
- Catherine Pierce named Mississippi’s Poet Laureate